Sunday, August 16, 2026

Stress display

 Was at supermarket to do a grocery run.

Approaching the banana stand, I saw a middle age man selecting bananas from the stand, his back facing me. As I approach, a trolley came in between me and this man. That’s a little abrupt but it’s ok since it’s very crowded today and the supermarket space is tight. The banana man put down his right arm after picking out a bunch of bananas and as he did so I think his elbow touched the man who was pushing the troller through. They stopped and looked at each other, I was expecting some murmurs of excuse me or sorry from either one but both kept quiet I think since I am so close.

Suddenly the troller dude started ranting and pointing fingers. “ so well educated want to do such things, purposely use arm to hit others!” And so on. They faced each other and I was right there lol. The troller man continued his berating without wanted to listen to anything the banana man was trying to say. Banana man was not shouting as I think he was also caught off guard by the unexpected outburst and he definitely didn’t want to escalate things. After a few shoutings and realizing he wasn’t getting the fight he wanted, the trolly man walked away mumbling and then told a young boy to follow him and said “don’t be like such people”. I didn’t notice the boy until then. Ong so this little boy around 6-7 age was his son and probably was scared. Or maybe he had seen such played out many times and got used to it, which is tragic. 

I tapped the banana man shoulder and told him it’s not his fault and there’s something off with the other guy so just let him be. He nodded and we went about our own business.

I am glad banana man is a mature and sensible fellow who could see beyond the immediate provocation and look at things from the correct perspective. 

I feel sorry for trolley man and especially his son. Hope whatever issues he was get resolved peacefully and he can rebuild with his son a good relationship as a father. 

It is also a lesson for myself as a father. I must have standards and especially when my kids are observing. They learn by example and leadership of their father. So be a good one. Learn to control emotions and restrain outbursts even when it’s a trying situation. There is not good outcomes when outbursts become uncontrollable barrage of fire. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stress display? Again?

  https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/elderly-man-shoved-floor-east-coast-coffeeshop-the-bullion-after-patting-childs-head Now, if I have a li...