Thursday, June 25, 2026

The 5Cs of Singaporean Dream revisited

Ah, the famous 5Cs that Singaporeans dream or used to dream of. 

Condo, Car, Credit Card, Country Club, Cash

Uncle got all except country club, I failed. 

Or did I?

Now, these 5Cs are really outdated as a package. 

Who the hell still yearn for country club memberships, except for the very old people (rich ones) and maybe their offsprings? It's like living in a bubble. Pui!

And credit card? That's a dream? Chey. Almost anyone can get a credit card or a just-as-convenient debit card these days. Heck, even Uncle's teenage kids have debit cards from Visa/Master, physical cards and virtual ones in their phones. Else how they pay for things? It's mostly cashless these days. So, I would say, this C is totally obsolete. It has become a basic daily convenience lol. Unless your dream is to have a credit card where you literally need that credit to spend more than what you have in your bank accounts. That's not a dream bro, it's a nightmare that will appear later in life. 

Condo....hmmm...TBH a much high percentage of people in SG live in Condos these days compared to 20 years ago. I think it's about 25% now? So, even 1 in 4 households living a condo. It's not majority, but it's not a small percentage either. But ok lah, I'll let this one stay as an aspiration, since I believe many who used to live in HDBs or are still living will always aspire to a condo lifestyle. But seriously, it should be a dream in that the higher potential capital appreciation of a condo will lead to  financial security, and not just chasing a silly lifestyle that is mostly performative. 

Car is definitely a dream, especially given the ridiculous COE prices these days lol. Dream on everyone who wants a set of wheels. After my current car COE expires in 6-7 years' time, I will be unlikely to afford a replacement. COE will be I guess....$200k lol.

Cash...oh yeah, I think this C can remain forever.

So, Uncle prefer these new Cs package:

Cashflow

Condo

Car

CPF

Yeah, the new 4Cs hehehe

why CPF? 

Oh man, you living under a rock is it? 

CPF guaranteed interests, and the amazing CPF Life, especially if you can top up to ERS, damn good deal. It forms a solid retirement baseline on top of which you layer other financial earnings like investments, dividends, property etc.

Cashflow vs Cash. It's way more important to have good cashflow vs a static amount of cash. Have both lah, but cashflow is king. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

don't confuse luck with competence

 don't I was lucky to have some wealth from high growth stocks and a high income job that allowed me to retire in my early 50s. Of cours...