How do I approach it?
Basically I have a spreadsheet that I have been maintaining for over 15 years or more
In it, I list down all my expenses and break them up into a monthly basis. To me, this is super useful as it gives me a clear grasp of where my outflows go to and how much, and whether my expenses are creeping up or coming down over the months and years.
But, I do not track my daily expenses to the dollar. I feel that’s a little too extreme and hard on myself.
With my spreadsheet, I also track my cashflow from investments. And I also compile my total net worth each month and track it.
So every month I will know if I had over spent or under. And if the delta isn’t that big or unexpected, I will be fine and I don’t worry.
I think the key to retirement spending is to watch 2 things:
Recurring expenses and Big ticket expenses
Don’t ever underestimate recurring expenses like subscriptions. Always be very clear and keep track of what you need to pay every month (Spotify, Netflix etc) and always be very clear about if you want to add a new one since it will keep running. This will also allow you to easily cut some off should you need to tighten things. Else you won’t know what to cut first.
For big ticket, these are usually the family vacations, big items like household appliances that broke, laptops for kids, celebrations, gifts.
Generally I think I am fine. There will always be unexpected big items, like dental issue, healthcare, wear and tear of home, car repairs etc. so just set aside a sum of maybe $20k per year as a buffer for these. Running a ship too tight is stressful.
I don’t sweat over a few dollars.
What I sweat over is the maintaining of prudent spending habits, so that my costs don’t creep up without me realizing it. Basically, don’t get surprised. Also, buy quality things so they can last and they give you value. Don’t cheap out and suffer and then buy again and again as cheap things break fast and also gives you lousy quality of life. Take good care of stuff you have so they don’t breakdown prematurely.
I don’t scrimp. I still pay for good coffee, but I don’t go fancy hotel to sip $20 kopi either. Look for value and quality.
Life is good
I don’t want to worry about small things
No comments:
Post a Comment