Monday, August 17, 2026

The ugly not poor not wealthy ones

 Have you seen such people before? They are quite common in SG

White collar profession 

High income

Flashy car 

Flashy apartment

Branded everything 

Pretty/handsome spouse 

Kids groomed in a specific way, branded schools all the way 

Talks mostly about themselves, where they vacationed recently, how their BMW is lousy and unreliable, how their condo balcony is too big to keep clean easily, how their domestic helpers are struggling to clean their big house etc. 

they also ask very typical questions : where your kids are schooling, what job you do, where you live, what car you drive

All the while, they humble brag so as to be “humble”

These are the most mean, selfish people you can get acquainted with. don’t do it

They will bring nothing to the table as a friend. Maybe you think they can give you connections to better opportunities. I don’t think so. They will take more than they give, so think twice before jumping in. 

I have relatives who are like this. I see them once a year , during CNY. 

They shake your hand and say Happy New Year. But they don’t look at you. They look through you. Not even pleasantries are muttered. They just want you to see their performance. Their loud conversations.

It’s very very cheesy but also very enlightening for me. I keep a distance from them. There’s no need to engage. No benefits at all. All they have in their tiny materialist minds are “are they doing better than me, are their kids doing better than mine”. It’s reflects in the questions asked if they somehow end up seated next to you for dinner and have to make small talk.

I recall a few examples :

A : how’s your daughter O levels? Which JC she’s applying for?

Me: she did well and she’s going to XXX school. 

A: wow, nice. (Turns to wife) sure do well one, parents very smart mah.

Me : (my girl is seated next to me and hears it all) well, I don’t think so, it’s her hardwork and she earned the results. She worked really hard for this. 

A : (munches food) 

See? He got caught off guard right? Don’t be sarcastic lah. Don’t you dare undermine my child’s efforts. Yes she inherited my smarts, so you jealous is it? 

These are cousins who always feel they need to prove themselves because they didn’t do as well academically as us when young. TBH, it’s also a product of our parents generation mentality of always comparing grades of their kids. But come on, you are full grown ass man now. You cannot have your own mind?


Next one:


B: heard you are staying at this condo ?

Me : yeah we moved in couple of years back as first owners

B: Wah, make a lot of money already lor…

Me: well, maybe, but it’s our home and we are living there for long term, so the value growing is nice but it’s just on paper. 

So fucker, you asked where we stay to assess our finances? 

Let me tell you, I don’t do such low class shit. When discussing homes, I always ask about how was the place, what do you like about it. I won’t ask about profits, prices etc unless the other party initiated such a direction. Be classy. Not snitch and then pass sarcastic remarks to show your jealousy. And mind you, my teenage kid is here listening. We are the adults, behave like one. 

So, keep a distance from such people, relative or not. Doesn’t matter. Get them out of your life. I don’t need them and they don’t need me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The ugly not poor not wealthy ones

 Have you seen such people before? They are quite common in SG White collar profession  High income Flashy car  Flashy apartment Branded eve...